Friday, September 21, 2012

Destined for Something

If there is one thing every human being is scouring about, it would be for purpose.

I know I am one of those people so eager to approach God so t hat He would just hand it to me like candy.
But a certain level of sacrifice, trials and challenges comes in order to unearth our true purpose.

One thing is for a fact: that we are made for His purpose. We are made for God's pleasure and joy. And we must fulfill this to the last chip of our being.

As I remember reading a certain reflection that says: " the world has lost the meaning of sacrifice." I plunged into deep thinking about what we have or perhaps for starters, what I have become in relation to this world.

The world offers too much comfort, to the point that humans are wired into making profits without hard work, and thinking that it's right and God made it that way. To make matters worst, they use God's gift to provide pleasure for themselves and not for God. Well, I am well aware that EVERYTHING we do echoes into eternity.

The problem? We do not like inconveniences. We do not like waiting. We do not like making sacrifices if it does not benefit us. We do not like giving way. We do not like being wrong even if it hurts us. We do not like losing.

The other problem?

It's just what we need.

I have had my share of complaints presented to the Lord. And to my awe, indeed I get a reply.

Failing to trust Him is the first source of all my trouble. Planning before Him and without Him makes everything worse.

When I seek my purpose, I am flooded with a lot of my suggestions. I plan to do this and do that to prove something, if not to others, to myself.

I get in way above my head. And when I get pressed and distressed, I crack. I get bogged down. It seems to happen time and again.

The problem I guess, is that too many of us have become know-it-all(s) to the point that we disregard correction and direction.

I read in James 4:13-17 the perfect lecture for me during these times that I boast about my tomorrows.


13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. 17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.


I admit it. I want to know my purpose and my goal but the bad part is, I always claim to know better. But I don't. 

So I start over. I try to know God as much as I can because He is my director. And I want that relationship with Him as much as I need it. It is my job to seek and provide what He wants. But before anything else, it is my job to listen.


After reflecting on today's readings I am struck by the words of St. Paul:

Eph 4:11-13

11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.


How beautiful the answer is. I should just patiently wait for calling and fulfill it. If it was to be a healthcare professional, healing others, then I should be good at it. 

Whatever purpose is revealed to us, we must do it. Sacrifice and obey. Do the least you want to do with gladness for it is not for men why you do it. Do it because while you do, you are in His presence. So make an outstanding performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment